There are no rules as to what type of haircut one should have. However, it is well-known that certain haircuts will define your best features. So there is absolutely nothing wrong with wanting to accentuate what you consider your best features.
Finding the best haircut for your face ultimately begins with defining the shape of your face. So let’s take a look…
What is My Face Shape?
To define your face shape, pull all of your hair away from your face. Then, examine the sections of your face. We found this cool, easy-to-follow guide from Birchbox that shows you how to define your face with dotted lines.
Here’s a break down:
- Round: Most women tend to think they have a round face but this isn’t the case! With a round face, the forehead and jawline are about the same width, as well as the chin, which is rounded.
- Celebrities with round faces: Beyonce, Drew Barrymore, Mila Kunis, Kate Bosworth
- Oval: An oval face is long with a curved jawline and narrow forehead.
- Celebrities with oval faces: Blake Lively, Jennifer Lawrence, Kate Middleton, Jessica Biel
- Square: A square face is equally long and wide. The forehead and jawline are about the same width but the chin is less outward and is more squared.
- Celebrities with square faces: Olivia Wilde, Jennifer Hudson, Natalie Portman, Margot Robbie
- Heart: Heart-shaped faces have a wider jawline and a chin that is pointed outward.
- Celebrities with heart-shaped faces: Eva Longoria, Gwyneth Paltrow, Mary-Kate and Ashley Olsen, Nicole Richie
- Diamond: A diamond face is like a heart shape but the jawline and forehead are narrower and about the same width.
- Celebrities with diamond faces: Jennifer Lopez, Halle Berry, Rihanna, Serena Williams
Okay, So What Cuts Complement My Face Shape?
Now that you have an idea what type of face shape you have, it’s time to explore a new haircut and style to complement your face.
People with round faces tend to want to make their face look longer and less wide. For that reason, you should opt for longer layers and a center part. Long bobs also look great. To avoid shortening the appearance of your face, avoid tight curls, straight or blunt bangs, or parting the hair too much to one side. The idea is to create symmetry.
For those with oval faces, you’re in luck — most haircuts will look great on you. From blunt bangs to a side-swept haircut, pixie cut, bob, long bob, long layers, you can have fun playing with your style! Since you really can’t go wrong, consider playing with your length. If you’ve never had short hair, try a shoulder-length do or add some bangs for fun.
Don’t be alarmed by the sound of a ‘square face’. You’re in great company! Great beauties like Angelina Jolie and Olivia Wilde have a square face. Since your features tend to be sharp, you can round them out with long hair (all one length) or soft fringe. You can also explore parting your hair to the side to take away from the appearance of a square.
An amazing jawline deserves a great haircut to really that show it off! Reese Witherspoon is a prime example of a heart-shaped face. Since heart shapes tend to have wide foreheads and cheeks, consider a shaggy pixie with side-swept bangs, which will take away from the width of your forehead. Long layered bobs also look great because they will elongate the face. If you enjoy having bangs, consider soft, wispy bangs.
As someone with a diamond face shape, you have a nice elongated jawline and amazing cheekbones. To really frame your face, consider long waves, which will show off your cheekbones. If you’re looking to narrow your cheekbones, a short cut with soft layers will do the trick. You’ll want to avoid a blunt part line, which may shorten the face. Look to celebrities like Scarlett Johansson and Megan Fox for inspiration.
Your Best Haircut Awaits! Visit Selah Salon & Spa in El Paso
Now that you know what haircut and style best complements your face shape, it’s time to make it happen. At Selah Salon & Spa, we’re all about helping you achieve the beauty you desire. Whether it’s a fresh new color or a cut you’ve long desired but haven’t had the confidence to try (remember: hair grows back!), it’s time to make it happen.